World Class Outcomes from RIT Lab
World First Multi-layer Architecture for Interoperability between Cyber and Physical Systems
- J.-H. Kim, I.-B. Jeong, I.-W. Park and K.-H. Lee, "Multi-layer Architecture of Ubiquitous Robot System for Integrated Services," International Journal of Social Robotics, Inaugural Issue, Vol. 1, No. 1, Jan. 2009.
- J.-H. Kim, S.-H. Cho, Y.-H. Kim and I.-W. Park, "Two-layered Confabulation Architecture for an Artificial Creature's Behavior Selection," IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics - PART C, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 1-7, Nov. 2008.
T.-H. Kim, S.-H. Choi and J.-H. Kim, "Incorporation of Software Robot and Mobile Robot Using Middle Layer," IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man and Cybernetics - Part C, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 1342-1348, Nov. 2007.
In this research, a multi-layer architecture of ubiquitous robot system was proposed for the first time to address the problems of interoperability between different hardware and software platforms in a ubiquitous robot environment. Along with the architecture, novel two-layered confabulation architecture is proposed for an artificial creature to select a proper behavior considering the internally generated will and the context of the external environment consecutively.
World First Artificial Creature with its Own Specific Personality
J. -H. Kim, C. -H. Lee and K. -H. Lee, "Evolutionary Generative Process for an Artificial Creature's Personality," IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics - Part C, (accepted), Oct. 2008.
In this research, an evolutionary generative process for an artificial creature’s personality (EGPP) algorithm was proposed to generate a genome as its output for a specific personality of artificial creature, which is characterized by the manner of responses such as internal state variation and behaviors.
J.-H. Kim and C.-H. Lee, "Multi-objective Evolutionary Generation Process for Specific Personalities of Artificial Creature," IEEE Computational Intelligence Magazine, vol. 3, issue. 1, pp.43-53, Feb. 2008.
In this research, a multi-objective evolutionary generation process for artificial creatures’ specific personalities (MOEGPP) was proposed to design an artificial genome that contributes to defining an artificial creature’s personality.
World Best Face Detection Algorithm among Face Detection Schemes using Evolutionary Algorithm
J.-S. Jang and J.-H. Kim, "Fast and Robust Face Detection using Evolutionary Pruning," IEEE Trans. on Evolutionary Computation, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 562-571, Oct. 2008.
In this research, a fast and robust face detection system was proposed by introducing evolutionary algorithms to optimize ensembles of classifiers. AdaBoost and cascade structure were employed as a basic framework.
World First Humanoid Robot with Modifiable Walking Gait in Real Time While Walking
- B.-J. Lee, D. Stonier, Y.-D. Kim and J.-K. Yoo and J.-H. Kim, "Modifiable Walking Pattern of a Humanoid Robot by Using Allowable ZMP Variation," IEEE Transaction on Robotics, vol. 24, no.4, pp.917-923, Aug. 2008.
Y.-D. Kim, B.-J. Lee, J.-H. Ryu and J.-H. Kim, "Landing Force Control for Humanoid Robot by Time-Domain Passivity Approach," IEEE Trans. on Robotics, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 1294-1301, Dec. 2007.
In this research, a real-time modifiable walking pattern generator was developed by controlling the ZMP trajectory with two closed-form functions such that robot can dynamically modify the walking period and step length in both sagittal and lateral planes.
World First Invention of Robot Soccer
- “Soccer Robotics (Springer Tracts in Advanced Robotics),” Springer-Verlag, ISBN 3540218599
J.-H. Kim, Y.-H. Kim, S.-H. Choi and I.-W. Park, "Evolutionary Multi-objective Optimization in Robot Soccer System for Education," IEEE Computational Intelligence Magazine, Feb. 2009.
In this research, a multi-objective population-based incremental learning (MOPBIL) algorithm was proposed to obtain the fuzzy path planner for optimal path to the ball, minimizing the three objectives: elapsed time, heading direction and posture angle errors in a robot soccer system.
World First Implementation of Ubiquitous Robot
- J.-H. Kim, K.-H. Lee, Y.-D. Kim, N. S. Kuppuswamy and J. Jo, "Ubiquitous Robot: A New Paradigm for Integrated Services," in Proc. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Roma, Italy, pp. 2853-2858,, Apr. 2007.
- J.-H. Kim, Y.-D. Kim and K.-H. Lee, "The Third Generation of Robotics: Ubiquitous Robot," in Proc. the International Conference on Autonomous, Palmerston North, New Zealand, Dec. 2004.
- J.-H. Kim, "Ubiquitous robot," Reusch B (ed) Computational Intelligence, Theory and Applications, Springer, Berlin, pp. 451–459, 2004.
World First Implementation of Genetic Robot
- J.-H. Kim, K.-H. Lee and Y.-D. Kim, "The Origin of Artificial Species: Genetic Robot," International Journal of Control, Automation, and Systems, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 564-570, Dec. 2005.
World First Quantum-inspired Evolutionary Algorithm
- K.-H. Han and J.-H. Kim, "Quantum-inspired evolutionary algorithms with a new termination criterion, He gate, and two-phase scheme," IEEE Trans. on Evolutionary Computation, vol. 8, issue. 2, pp. 156-169, Apr. 2004.
- K.-H. Han and J.-H. Kim, "Quantum-inspired Evolutionary Algorithm for a Class of Combinatorial Optimization," IEEE Trans. on Evolutionary Computation, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 580-593, Dec. 2002.
World First Evolutionary Two-Layered Fuzzy Logic Control Scheme
- J.-Y. Jeon, J.-H. Kim and K. Koh, "Experimental Evolutionary Programing - Based High- Precision Control," IEEE Control Systems Magazine, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 66-73, Apr. 1997.
- J.-H. Kim, J.-H. Park and S.-W. Lee, "Fuzzy Precompensation of PD Controllers for Systems with Deadzones," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, vol. 41, no. 3, Oct. 1994.
- J.-H. Kim, J.-H. Park, S.-W. Lee and Edwin K.P.Chong, "A Two-Layered Fuzzy Logic Controller for Systems with Deadzones," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 155-162, Apr. 1994.