Professor Jong-Hwan Kim
"Technology will reach as far as our imagination allows." excerpted from the interview with Reuters in 2002.
- Global Agenda Council on AI and Robotics, World Economy Forum, Council Member, 2014 - 2016.
- International Advisory Council on Robotics and AI, UAE, Member, 2014 - 2016.
- 6th International Conference on Automation, Robotics and Applications, International Advisory Board(IAB) Member, 2015.
- Symposium on Robotic Intelligence in Informationally Structured Space (RiiSS 2014), Program Committee Member, 2014.
- International Conference on Evolutionary Computation Theory and Applications (ECTA), Program Committee Member, 2014.
- IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Embedded and Ubiquitous Computing (EUC-14), Program Committee Member, 2014.
- 5th International Conference on Social Robotics (ICSR), International Advisory Board (IAB) Member, 2014.
- Simulated Evolution and Learning (SEAL) 2014 in New Zealand (Dunedin), International Advisory Board(IAB) Member, 2014.
- IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, Program Committee Member, 2014.
- 7th International Conference on Humanoid, Nanotechnology, Information Technology, Communication and Control, Environment, and Management, International Advisory Board(IAB) Member, 2014.
- International Conference on Evolutionary Computation Theory and Applications, Program Committee Member, 2014.
- IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence (WCCI 2016), Posters Session Chair, 2016.
- 18th Asia Pacific Symposium on Intelligent and Evolutionary Systems, International Advisory Board(IAB) Member, 2014.
- International Conference on Robot Intelligence Technology and Applications, General Co-Chair, 2012 -
- International Journal of Social Robotics, Editorial Board member, 2012 -
- International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems, 2012 -
- Handbook of Humanoid Robots, Editior-In-Chief, 2012 -
- International Journal of Mechatronics and Automation, Editorial Board Member, 2010 -
- IEEE Fellow, for contributions to evolutionary algorithms, Jan. 2009 -
- IEEE Computational Intelligence Magazine, Associate Editor, 2008
- International Federation of Automatic Control, Technical Committee Member, 2005 ~
- IEEE NN Council, Evolutionary Computation Society, Technical Committee Member, Jan. 2001 -
- IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation 2001, Seoul, General Chair
FIRA (Federation of International RoboSoccer Association, Jun. 1997 - , President
- IROC (International Robot Olympiad Committee), Oct. 1998 - , President
- IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, Founding Associate Editor, Jan. 1996 –
- Co-founder of the International Conference on Simulated Evolution and Learning (SEAL), 1996
- The Father of Robot Football, The Times, Sep. 1997 and The Founder of Entertainment Robotics, 1997
- Served over 100 international conferences as General Chair, Honorary Chair, Advisory Board Member, Program Chair, Program Committee Member, and delivered over 150 Invited Talks and Speeches.
Professor Kim received his B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees in Electronics Engineering and Computer Science from Seoul National University, Korea, in 1981, 1983, and 1987, respectively. From 1984 to 1988, he was a Research Assistant in the Department of Electronics Engineering at Seoul National University. Since 1988, he has been with the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at KAIST, where he is currently a Professor. He was a visiting scholar at Purdue University from September 1992 till August 1993 and at UC Davis from August 2000 till February 2001.
Professor Kim is well known for his seminal contributions to soccer robotics, ubiquitous and genetic robotics and evolvable artificial creatures. He has developed numerous novel approaches to confront new problems of evolutionary computation, soccer robotics, ubiquitous and genetic robotics, evolvable artificial creatures and “The Origin of Artificial Species.” He has shown how evolutionary scheme can be used to design a genome representing personality effectively for artificial creatures including hardware robots. Professor Kim has authored 4 books and 2 edited books, 2 journal special issues, 31 IEEE papers, 32 non-IEEE international journal papers and 192 international conference papers. He is one of the most prolific researchers as is confirmed by his h‑index of 22 along with over 1800 citations as of March 26, 2008 and 58 international invited talks in 20 countries (Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, China and Hong Kong, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Korea, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Philippines, Spain, Singapore, Taiwan, UAE, UK, USA). Professor Kim received the highest possible eligible award from the President of Republic of Korea. His recent research outcomes have been introduced through the world media including CNN, BBC, The Times, among others.
Professor Kim first proposed a hybrid algorithm of evolutionary programming (EP) and the gradient-based algorithm based on Kuhn-Tucker optimality condition. He extended it to two-phase EP (TPEP), evolutionary optimization based on Lagrangian and hybrid Interior-Lagrangian penalty method for handling nonlinear constrained optimization problems.
Professor Kim developed a new domain of evolutionary algorithm by proposing quantum-inspired evolutionary algorithm (QEA) inspired by quantum computing. It was based on the concept and principles of quantum computing, such as a quantum bit and superposition of states. Instead of binary, numeric, or symbolic representation, it used a Q-bit, defined as the smallest unit of information, for the probabilistic representation and a Q-bit individual as a string of Q-bits.
Professor Kim is a pioneer in investigating “The Origin of Artificial Species” by designing a genome and general architecture for artificial creatures. He firstly proposed the genetic robot. He was the first to implement the genetic robot in a PDA phone in a networked environment.
Professor Kim was the first to present the evolutionary generation process for artificial creature’s personality. He also utilized the multi-objective evolutionary algorithm for obtaining specific personalities of artificial creature. This seminal body of work is an essential contribution to build a believable artificial creature having a diverse personality.
Professor Kim firstly propound a new concept of ubiquitous robot as a robot incorporating software robot, embedded robot, and mobile robot which can be used by anyone for any IT service by any device through any network at any time at any place in a ubiquitous space. He was the first to embody the ubiquitous robot in real environment by proposing a dedicated middle layer to incorporate software robot and mobile robot to arbitrate different protocols among them.
Professor Kim firstly initiated soccer robotics, coined by him, which is a new interdisciplinary field (1995). The contributions were published as a book: “Soccer Robotics,” by Springer-Verlag (2004). He has been developing a small sized humanoid robot, HSR series, since 2000 and organized an International Winter School on Humanoid Robotics (2005) to share the technical information world over.
Finally, Dr. Kim’s contributions to our society are the establishment of FIRA RoboWorld Cup (www.FIRA.net) and International Robot Olympiad (www.IROC.org). This is why he has been christened as “the Father of Robot Football” by The Times in recognition of his contributions.
Professor Kim has made contributions to share the technological information with researchers around the world that should be most proud of in his lifetime. He delivered tutorial lectures on genetic robotics in a ubiquitous world at the IEEE IECON, Taipei, on evolutionary generation of artificial creature’s personality for ubiquitous services at the IEEE CIS Korea Chapter symposium and on evolvable artificial creature in a ubiquitous robot world at the IEEE Symposium Series on Computational Intelligence, Hawaii, invited talk on evolvable artificial creature at the IEEE CEC (all in 2007) and plenary speech on the 3rd generation of robotics: ubiquitous robot at the IEEE CIRAS, Espoo, Finland (2005).
Professor Kim has made essential service contributions for the IEEE Computational Intelligence Society, Robotics and Automation Society and System Man and Cybernetics Society. He was General Chair for IEEE CEC (2001) and currently serves as a Founding Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation and an Associate Editor of IEEE Computational Intelligence Magazine and of International Journal of Sociable Robotics. He is the Founding Member of Technical Committee for Evolutionary Computation Society, IEEE NNC since 2001. He was a Member of International Advisory Board for IEEE CEC 2007. He has served various IEEE conferences as an IPC member and Chairs. He is one of the co-founders of the International Conference on Simulated Evolution and Learning (SEAL) and was Organizing Chair and Program Co-chair of SEAL'96 and Program Co-chair of SEAL98 and 2000.
Professor Kim is the recipient of the 1988 Choongang Young Investigator Award from the Choongang Memorial Foundation, the LG YonAm Foundation Research Fellowship in 1992, the Korean Presidential Award in 1997, and the SeoAm Foundation Research Fellowship in 1999. He was and is a Technical Advisor to Hyundai Heavy Industry Co. Ltd. and Yujin Robotics Co., Seoul, Korea, a special member of science and technology group of Korea National Assembly, a planning committee member of World Technopolis Association (WTA) and Vice President of Young Astronaut Korea (YAK).
- KAIST 전자공학과 교수 (1988 - 현재)
- KAIST 로봇공학 학제전공 책임교수 (2004. 7 - )
- KAIST 과학기술정책대학원 인사자문위원회 (2013.4.1 ~ 2015. 3. 31)
- IEEE Fellow (2009 - 현재)
- Adjunct Professor, School of IT, Griffith University, Gold Coast, Australia (2003. 3 - )
- Honorary Professor, De La Salle University, Manila, Philippines (2005. 3 - )
- 다개체 로봇시스템을 응용한 로봇축구대회 창안 (1995)
- Int‘l Conf. on Simulated Evolution and Learning (SEAL) 국제학회 창립 (1995)
- IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, 창립 부편집인 (1996 - 현재 )
- 우주정보 소년단 부총재 (1999 - 현재)
- 산자부 KAIST 마이크로로봇 설계교육센터 소장 (2000 - 현재)
- 제14회 부산아시안게임 성화봉송 특별주자 (2002)
- 정통부 KAIST ITRC-지능로봇 센터 소장 (2003 - 현재)
- Int‘l Conf. on Simulated Evolution and Learning, 2004, General Chair
- Fuzzy Days 2004 in Dortmund, Germany, 2004, Honorary Chair
- Int‘l Conf. on Autonomous Robots and Agents, New Zealand, 2004, Honorary Chair
- KBS 1 신나라 과학나라 (전국 방송) 선정 스타 과학자 1호 (2005.1.6과 1.13 방영)
- 인천 KAIST 로봇 대학원 추진위원회 위원장 (2009. 9 - 현재)
- 국제발전부지추진기획위원회 위원 (2007. 2. 7 - 현재)
- 학제학부 학사심의 위원회 (2008. 7. 1 - 현재)
- 대전 컨벤션 홍보 대사 (2009. 3. 19)
The Father of Robot Football, The Times (1997.9.18)
- The Founder of Entertainment Robotics, The Anchorage Daily News (1997.5.15)
- 자랑스런 신한국인 대통령상 수상 (1997)
- KAIST 국제 협력 대상 (2009. 2)
- 지식경제부 장관 표창장 (2011. 12)
- RiTA 2012 Best Paper Award (2012. 12)
- 대전 시장 감사패 (2013. 8)
- RiTA 2013 Best Paper Award (2013. 12)
- IEEE 활동학술상, 제어로봇시스템 학회 (2014. 10)
- RiTA 2014 Best Paper Awards (2014. 11)